1.She was born Marguerite Annie Johnson on April 4 1928.
2.She was an American poet, memoirist and a civil rights activist.
3. She published seven autobiographies,3 books of essays, several books of poetry and she is credited with a list of plays, movies and television shows spanning over 50 years.
4. She has received several awards and more than 50 honorary degrees.
5. She is best known for her series of seven autobiographies which focuses on her childhood and early adult experiences.
6. She was an actress,writer, director and producer of plays movies and public television programs.
7. She was named the first Reynolds Professor of American Studies at Wake Forest University in Winston Salem, North Carolina.
8. She was active in civil rights movement and she worked with Martin Luther King Jr and Malcolm X.
9. In 1993 Angelou recited her poem “On the Pulse of the Moment” at the first inauguration of Bill Clinton, making her the first poet to make an inaugural recitation since Robert Frost at the inauguration of John F. Kennedy in 1961.