Realms – an otherworld dominated by the practice of sorcery or witchcraft; the use of spells to control, influence and manipulate real-life events. Some call it voodoo, we call it realms and others refer to it as juju but we are more interested in what YOU call it – in what it means to you. Have you experienced it before or know someone who has?
For our second Issue,
TVOTRIBE will be collecting entries in line with the theme – Realms.
We want creatives to attempt to explore all that this theme means to them, as individuals and collective storytellers. You are an important part of this conversation, and so we urge you to join us.
We want to bring alive those tales that were once chief in African education – stories and conversations that dangle on the edge of extinction in Africa.
Submit to: email@example.com
Deadline: 6th October 2022
1. We accept only original, previously unpublished pieces. Do not send us works that have appeared on either personal websites or other literary houses. We do not count work that has appeared on your personal social media as published.
2. While we give every contributor the right to be deeply opinionated in their pieces, we encourage you to add facts, great insights, pure knowledge, and undeniable value to your pieces.
3. Your content should revolve around Africa. We want to publish African pieces that promote Africa, that is written by Africans either here at home or in the diaspora.
4. Please submit photographs, artworks, and other images you think are important to understanding your pieces. Do give us a notice on photo credit so we can duly recognise them.
5. We won’t publish hate pieces, works that naturally are meant to stir hatred in the African literary world. We also won’t consider works our editor finds too extreme for our ever-growing audience. Do ensure you add a content warning if your piece deserves it.
6. While we are committed to editing your pieces and ensuring they are not only refined but aesthetically appealing to readers, we encourage you to edit your pieces before submitting them.
7. Limits to each category of submission:
- Poetry — Submit no more than two poems of a maximum of 40 lines each on the theme. Each poem should start on a new page and may be titled.
- Articles — Submit one article that is between 700 to 3000 words on the theme. We want you to write as much as possible, remember, we can only post your work once a month.
- Personal accounts — These are nonfiction pieces and we’d want you to write everything possible but limited to a maximum of 4000 words in just one piece.
- Photographs/Artwork — Submit no more than 5 creative artworks during a particular submission period.
- Short Stories — Submit no more than two short stories limited to a maximum of
- 1000 words in just one piece.
8. Our team of editors are always ready to ensure each submission receives deserved attention. Send us your bio in not more than 100 words. A cover letter is not compulsory, but you can attach one if it’s important to understand your piece. The bio and the cover letter should be part of the body of the mail while your piece should be attached as a single document.
Please read our submission guidelines for further details on how to share your work.